Scottish Independence Referendum, Johnson and Sturgeon
Home  »     »   IndyRef2? Scottish Independence Referendum 6/1 to take place in 2021

IndyRef2? Scottish Independence Referendum 6/1 to take place in 2021

| 17.11.2020

Scotland could go to the polls in a second independence referendum as early as 2021, according to our latest odds. 

As tensions continue to grow between Boris Johnson and Nicola Sturgeon, we make it a 6/1 shot for IndyRef2 to take place next year.

There’s 3/1 on offer for another referendum on Scotland’s future inside the union in 2022, with 8/1 apiece about a vote in 2023 or 2024.

However, we go as short as even-money for there to be no referendum on the matter before 2025.

The last Scottish Independence referendum took place in September 2014, with 4,283,392 voters returning a 55.30% verdict in favour of remaining in the union, versus 44.70% who voted to leave.

Jessica O’Reilly of Ladbrokes said: “At this stage the odds suggest Sturgeon won’t get her way with a second independence vote in the near future.”

Ladbrokes Latest Betting

Year of Next Scottish Independence Referendum

2021 – 6/1

2022 – 3/1

2023 – 8/1

2024 – 8/1

Not Before 2025 – Evens

View the latest Political odds

All Odds and Markets are correct as of the date of publishing



Nick Murphy

Nick is a graduate of the UEA where he doubled up as the sports editor of the student newspaper. He supports Dagenham & Redbridge and previously edited the matchday programme at Victoria Road. Darts and Horse Racing are among his other favourite sports.